Friday, February 22, 2008

Instructions for February Blues

When February gets to me - i find a new song.
I play it over and over until it wears a groove in my soul.
Then as i trudge through the snow under a grey sky
i sing it and it gets me through.

My new Favourite Song was "Way Down in the Hole" sung by Steve Earle.
But on the way to find the lyrics i found that - as i suspected - it was written by Tom Waits.

Then i found an even better song for February.
Steve Earle's "Transcendental Blues".
Lyrics below. Video above. (the first one is the best)

In the darkest hour of the longest night
If it was in my power I'd step into the light
Candles on the altar, penny in your shoe
Walk upon the water - transcendental blues.

Happy ever after 'til the day you die
Careful what you ask for, you don't know 'til you try
Hands are in your pockets, starin' at your shoes
Wishin' you could stop it - transcendental blues.

If I had it my way, everything would change
Out here on this highway the rules are still the same
Back roads never carry you where you want 'em to
They leave you standin' there with them ol'Transcendental Blues.


"Way Down in the Hole"

When you walk through the garden
you gotta watch your back
well I beg your pardon
walk the straight and narrow track

if you walk with Jesus
he's gonna save your soul
you gotta keep the devil
way down in the hole

he's got the fire and the fury
at his command
well you don't have to worry
if you hold on to Jesus hand

we'll all be safe from Satan
when the thunder rolls
just gotta help me keep the devil
way down in the hole

All the angels sing
about Jesus' mighty sword
and they'll shield you with their wings
and keep you close to the lord

don't pay heed to temptation
for his hands are so cold
you gotta help me keep the devil
way down in the hole

Tom Waits

You can hear it at this YouTube link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FjZrp320Qc
It's the theme song for the TV show the Wire

No comments: